Monday, February 1, 2010

Art collage for Phil's room

I have been reading a totally incredible book titled -- My Stroke of Insight -- by Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor. She is a neuro-scientist who at age 37 had a hemorrhagic stroke on the left side of her brain (a different type of stroke but the same side of her brain as Phil). To learn more about her please see her website and check out her book if you're interested: http://drjilltaylor.com/ I've learned a lot from her in one night.

Anyhow, Jill has a list in the back of her book about what helped her heal. One artistic idea was creating a collage in her hospital room of photos and cards. I think this would be great. Phil cannot read emails (or read at all at this point) and names and faces of his life are kind-of fuzzy. He needs something visual and tangible for him to see, touch, and hold. This may help him piece together the puzzle.

If you'd like, please send us a photo of yourself or yourselves. Please label the photos with your name and a brief message. I will make a collage we can put up in his room on display. We need to liven this place up! It's not very colorful in here. I don't know how long we'll be here, at least 1-5 weeks so I suggest popping it in the mail by the end of this week (Feb 6th or so) to make sure it finds us in time (before we move on to who knows where?)

Here's the address:

Mayo Clinic
Phil James
Room 378 (3E)
5777 East Mayo Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85054

* this may be slightly different address than the first one we gave out. We've now settled into a room for a spell -- everything will find us, I have faith*

with gratitude

6 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I know how sterile and uninspiring hospital rooms can be. I still have all my cards from when I was in and out of the hospital when I was 0-5. I was actually thinking just prior to reading this blog, gosh, I should find pics of Phil and I performing together and send them. . . perfect timing! I hope you are giving yourself some yoga time Lara - sending you love and support, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lara, please know that we are sending you, Phil, and your baby a multitude of positive vibes from Oregon. You are in our hearts, and we love you. I tried to post the other day and your blog and I were not on the same wavelength, hopefully this will work. Much love, Jason, Kim, and Joah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lara,

    Everyone here at the restaurant is thinking of you and sending our love and positive thoughts your way. We know that your strength, love and persistence will guide your way. We are here to help now and when you return. I was looking for words of inspiration and solace - for you, for all of us. This Irish ballad moved me today:

    May the long time sun shine upon you.
    All love surround you.
    And the light within you guide your way on.

    We look forward to having you back home.

    Love,

    Stella & Guy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Phil and Lara - We just found out the shocking news. Your beautiful spirits will find their way through this dark night. We hold you in our hearts. We eagerly await more updates. We have tons of baby stuff for you. Meanwhile, tell Phil that we're sending him a collage of Dan's ass - that should perk him right up.
    Love,
    Dan & Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daer LAra and Phil:
    I am shocked and saddened!! I know that if anyone can survive this and fill it with meaning and transformation, it is you guys. My thoughts and prayers are with you.I will get ot work on the collage pics ASAP. Thank you for all you both are and do. Love abnd gratitude: Chris and Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lara,

    I've read that book and it is excellent.

    Please give Phil our best.

    Dick & Laura Cravens

    ReplyDelete